21 November 2006

What is a man?

I wish I had something clever to say, I don't. For me, I am still trying to understand and become a man. My definition is not well defined, it is vague and hazy but always lingering in the back of my mind. It is something I can't quite put my finger on, but always there.

A man is not necessarily someone who can sire children, it is much much more.

I think it begins with responsibility, first for your self and your actions. Then for those you love. This isn't just your family, this is what I call you and yours or me and mine. This is the circle of people you have chosen. Chosen to be part of your family, your tribe, your group, however you call it. For men this grows with time.

Next I would say willingness. This may sound odd at first. But willingness to do what needs to be done. Some examples: provide for your family, protect that which you hold dear, change a diaper, lay down your life, make a statement of faith, to change.

Lastly in this little list is love. A man loves with all his heart. This love is not finite. It is not limited in capacity. The more you give, the more you get. I believe not only having love but also showing it. If it is hidden, then those that need it will never see it. The smallest act done with love can have great power to influence others and destiny. Out of love we give freely of ourselves, our time, our money, our commitment. This love is not limited to that of our spouse, it is more, much more. It is love of children, country, God, sunset, the smell of crisp fall mornings, brothers, family, tribe, of me and mine.

My words are not adequate to describe what a man is. I know I am trying to be a man. I know you who read this are men. I know you each have a different definition. I know there is much more to it than these simple words.

dean

1 Comments:

Blogger Erich said...

Deaner, you are an awesome man that I am very proud to call my stick! Your feelings always were deep and you express it well. We are definitely "OF" the same tribe.

21 November, 2006 22:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter